As written in my previous post, I had made these scones for my friends bridal shower, so I thought I would share the recipe. I haven’t tried substituting other fruit but I’m sure it would be fine to do so. These are my all time favorite scones because they’re fluffy (not hard) and have a really good flavor. Plus, they’re not hard to make. They’re good to make for breakfast every now and again. Don’t forget the tea 🙂
Strawberry Scones: From Betty Crocker
2 Cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup butter
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup whipping cream
1/4 cup buttermilk
1 cup strawberries-hulled and sliced
(Note: rinse AND dry your strawberries to avoid having dough that is too wet)
optional: granulated sugar for topping
1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon whopping cream
(whisk egg and cream together)
1. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
2. Cut in butter with a pastry cutter until course crumbs form.
3. Form a well in the center; set aside.
4. Whisk egg, vanilla, cream, and buttermilk together.
5. Stir into dry mixture until moistened.
6. Fold in strawberries.
7. Gently knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth, about 10 seconds (I knead the dough on floured parchment paper)
8. Pat into a 7 inch circle about 1 inch thick
9. Slice into 8 wedges (I flour my knife to avoid dough sticking to it). Arrange on parchment paper-lined baking sheet
10. Brush with glaze and sprinkle with additional sugar.
Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes or until golden and cool on wire rack.