So the other day Ryan and I were craving some Chinese food so I thought I might take a stab at making a very basic dish I was told about by my friend Amy E. who makes this as an easy go to meal (recipe can also be found here). When I say this was easy, I’m not at all exaggerating. The nice thing is, once you buy certain ingredients like sesame seeds, sesame seed oil, and soy sauce, you can make the dish again and again and really only need to go get some fresh chicken and vegetables from the store when you want to make it again. The rest of the ingredients, you’ll most likely have in the pantry. It is super quick to make as well. Give it a try!
Note: I personally would decrease the amount of sugar next time I make it because I prefer a less sweet dish, but Ryan really enjoyed it as is. We doubled this recipe and I also made extra sauce because I added fresh steamed stir fry veggies and we like our sauce. 🙂
|1/4||cup unbleached flour or all-purpose flour|
|1/8||teaspoon ground black pepper|
|12||oz chicken breasts (about 4 half breasts, meat only), cut into 2 inch 4 inch strips|
|1/4||cup reduced sodium soy sauce|
|1/2||teaspoon dark sesame oil|
|2||tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted- I would use 1.5 tablespoons or less next time|
1. In a gallon-size plastic bag, combine flour, salt and pepper
2. Add chicken, seal bag, and shake well to coat.
3. Coat a large nonstick skillet with nonstick spray and warm over medium-high heat (I had to use a little bit of olive oil to help brown the meat because I don’t have a non-stick pan)
4. Add chicken to skillet and cook, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes, or until no longer pink.
6. Reduce heat to medium (Let the pan cool down a bit or you’ll burn the soy sauce)
7. Combine soy sauce and sugar in the skillet. (I combined it in my measuring cup while waiting for the pan to cool a bit)
8. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sugar dissolves.
9. Add oil and sesame seeds.
10. Add chicken.
11. Toss and serve immediately (the sauce will continue to thicken- This is when I added my extra sauce and steamed veggies and then tossed it a little longer on low-medium heat to mix it all together)
Put over rice of your choice and enjoy!